Thursday, October 18, 2007

The DEP Process

The "DEP" is the Delayed Entry Program. It's basically the time between when you sign the contract, and when you ship off to basic and during this time you're supposed to keep in touch with your recruiter and stay out of trouble. Not too hard for me since my DEP time will only be about 1 week. But for some reason my recruiter is hell bent on getting me promoted during this 1 week period. Why? I dont even care about the promotion really. I'm not in this for the money so the only point in me getting a promotion is to just say that I am an E2 instead of an E1.

Of course I havn't told my recruiter yet, but if I were in his shoes I wouldn't be trying to go through all of the shit to get somebody promoted unless they asked me first. Not only that but in my current state I'm not confident in my ability to run 1 mile in 8 minutes and 30 seconds, much less the 2 miles in some other bullshit amount of time that is required to pass the running portion of this "little PT test" as he calls. I know, for so many people it's pathetically easy, but I SUCK at running. I will do push ups and sit ups until the sun goes down, but when someone says "Run", I say "Why?" I'm prepared to go to "Fat Camp" at basic if I have to, but I don't see a reason to injure myself beforehand just because my recruiter wants to tell his 1SG that he shipped off an E2 instead of an E1. Welcome to the Army I guess.

No comments: