Tuesday, March 11, 2008

JRTC

The Joint Readiness Training Center. The name sounds like a very professional military center where one would go to...get ready. Get ready for what you may ask. Iraq is what. We leave tonight and have an 11 hour bus ride into the heart of Louisiana to a little place called Ft. Polk. I've heard nothing but bad things about this place. From Ft. Polk we ride even further into the wilderness until we are securely positioned in the middle of nowhere, where we will then begin our training.

The number one item I've had recommended to me so far is bug spray.

"But its the middle of winter, there can't be that many bugs."

"Dude, just bring bug spray."

Stellar. The extent of my unit level training has been "clearing" the stairwell of my barracks with my fireteam and going over Battle Drills which usually turns into my squad leader drawing pictures of hilarious sex positions on the white board. The laughs are good and all but I really wish I was getting more training before going to a place where a lack of training increases your chances of death.

I'm really hoping JRTC is more than just "20 days in a swamp" like everyone is saying it's going to be.

No comments: